Database System Concepts
CSCI 3287: Database System Concepts
Department of Computer Science and Engineering - College of Engineering, Design and Computing - University of Colorado Denver
Term: Spring 2019
University Course Catalog Description: Introduces database design, database management systems, and the SQL standard database language. Includes data modeling techniques, conceptual database design, theory of object- relational and relational databases, relational algebra, relational calculus, normalization and database integrity.
Expected Knowledge at the Start of the Course: Students are expected to have mathematical, computer science and programming skills.
- The expected mathematical skills include those taught in the CSCI2511 (Discrete Structures) course, as well as CSCI2421 (Data Structures and Program Design)
- Set operations and trees.
- Boolean logic
- Combinatorics and probability.
- Expected programming skills include the following:
- Basic problem-solving techniques such as divide and conquer, top-down, bottom-up and object-oriented.
- Basic computer science knowledge including the following:
- Data structures and algorithms: sorting, searching, hashing, running times and memory usage.
- How to choose and use basic data structures, including linked-lists, vectors, heaps and search trees.
- Operating systems basic knowledge: bits, bytes, blocks/pages, disk operations, latency, seek, time to transfer, memory basics, storage allocation and indexing
Expected Knowledge Gained at the end of the Course: Students are expected to have attained the following knowledge/skills upon leaving the course:
- Database Systems Design Concepts.
- Relational Database Design
- Relational Algebra Expressions for specifying and querying data
- SQL Language for querying and manipulating data.
- Indexing methods
- Ability to demonstrate use of formal models and languages used in Database Systems Design,
- Implementation and Documentation
- Database Fundamentals
- Entity-Relationship Model, Relational Model, Normal Forms
- Relational Algebra, SQL Standard
- Physical Design and Indexes
- Variations in Database Design
Course Prerequisites: CSCI 2441 - Data Structures and Program Design
- Fundamentals of Database Systems, 7th Edition. R. Elmasri and S. Navathe. Pearson. ISBN-13: 978-0133970777. Required.
- Course Overview and Introduction
- DBMS Concepts and Architecture
- Conceptual Modeling: Entity-Relationship Model
- Relational Model
- Relational Algebra
- Tuple Relational Calculus
- SQL and Advanced SQL
- Functional Dependencies and Normalization
- File Structures
- Index Structures
- Distributed Databases
- Chapters 1 through 9, 14 through 17 and 23.
- MySQL Reference Manual.